ZAP Endurance Foundation (ZAP), founded in 2001, is a non-profit training center for post-collegiate, Olympic hopeful distance runners.
Its founders Andy Palmer and his wife Zika developed the program as a way to give back to the sport of distance running, a sport that played a significant role in both their lives.
Objectives of the ZAP Endurance Foundation
Financially support 8-10 post-collegiate distance runners in their efforts to make World Championship and Olympic Teams
Develop the physical talent necessary for success in a competitive environment
Teach mental and emotional skills necessary for success in a competitive environment
Develop individual professional skills for benefit in post-competitive years
Provide role models for America’s youth by promoting an active healthy lifestyle as well as promote achievement
Provide an environment for achievement in running for all levels of runners
Our goal is to develop World Class American distance runners by providing them with the support necessary to allow them to train like Olympians.
How long have we been open?
ZAP Endurance’s doors have now been open for 15 years, and in that time ZAP’s elite athlete program as well as its educational camps have been overwhelming successes.
ZAP’s Resident Elite Athletes apply to the program after they have completed their collegiate careers based on ZAP’s qualifying standards. As part of the application process each athlete submits a résumé, letters of recommendation, and goes through an on-site interview. Since 2002 ZAP athletes have seen success on every level and in every event from the 1,500m to the Marathon including:
- 28 Olympic Trials Qualifiers
- 5 World Cross Country Team Members
- 2 World Track and Field Championship Qualifiers in the Marathon
- 3 Club Cross Country National Team Titles
ZAP Endurance Running Vacations
ZAP Endurance Running Vacations have been equally as successful. 2020 marks the 19th year of ZAP running vacations and in that time ZAP has hosted more than 700 campers from virtually every state in the US and many international countries. From fitness beginners to seasoned marathoners, ZAP continues to focus on educating each and every runner about how to maximize their potential.
Athletes in the ZAP Endurance program who have met our “Elite” standard receive:
- Room and board at the ZAP Endurance Facility
- Monthly stipend of $600.00
- Health insurance after 6 months
- Travel expenses including: airfare, hotel, meet entry, and incidental expenses
- Physiological testing and sports psychology consultation
- Massage therapy
- Financial bonuses based on time tier and Championships placing
- 6-8 week Winter training camp
Athletes who have met the “Regional” Standard receive:
- Use of the ZAP Facility
- Physiological Testing and Sport Psychology Consultation
- Assistance in finding part time jobs
- Small annual travel budget
ZAP Endurance Foundation Executive Board:
President: Zika Palmer
Vice President: Jane Palmer
Secretary: Wayne Middlesteadt
Treasurer: Marty Wilson
Advisor: Ray Russell
ZAP Endurance Advisory Board: